1/5 Photos of Lemon Bars
An Alice Medrich recipe. A lighter version. 8/22/05 Just adopted this recipe and will try my hand at it this weekend. Never had an Alice Medrich creation that wasn't divine so I'm looking forward to this one. TG
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Spray pan lightly with vegetable oil spray.
- 3Make the crust: Stir the 3/4 cup of flour, the cornmeal, salt and baking soda together with a whisk to combine; set aside.
- 4In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
- 5Add 1/3 cup of the sugar and beat at high speed for about one minute or until mixture loses its crumbly texture and begins to form a mass.
- 6Beat in the egg yolk, yogurt and vanilla.
- 7Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until combined--scrape the bowl and beater.
- 8Knead the mixture briefly with your hands to mix thoroughly.
- 9Press the dough evenly into the pan and prick all over with a skewer or fork.
- 10If pan is lightweight, place on baking sheet.
- 11Bake until brown on top, about 20-25 minutes.
- 12Make the topping: Whisk eggs and the egg white with the remaining sugar until combined.
- 13Whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- 14Whisk in the 1/4 cup of flour.
- 15When crust is golden, reduce oven temperature down to 300°.
- 16Pour topping over hot crust and bake 15-20 minutes, or until topping barely jiggles in the center when you shake the pan gently back and forth.
- 17Cool on a rack.
- 18Chill before cutting into squares.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Bars
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.2
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 38.6 mg
- Sodium 34.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of