Recipe by justcallmetoni
An Alice Medrich recipe. A lighter version. 8/22/05 Just adopted this recipe and will try my hand at it this weekend. Never had an Alice Medrich creation that wasn't divine so I'm looking forward to this one. TG
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray pan lightly with vegetable oil spray.
- Make the crust: Stir the 3/4 cup of flour, the cornmeal, salt and baking soda together with a whisk to combine; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
- Add 1/3 cup of the sugar and beat at high speed for about one minute or until mixture loses its crumbly texture and begins to form a mass.
- Beat in the egg yolk, yogurt and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until combined--scrape the bowl and beater.
- Knead the mixture briefly with your hands to mix thoroughly.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan and prick all over with a skewer or fork.
- If pan is lightweight, place on baking sheet.
- Bake until brown on top, about 20-25 minutes.
- Make the topping: Whisk eggs and the egg white with the remaining sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- Whisk in the 1/4 cup of flour.
- When crust is golden, reduce oven temperature down to 300°.
- Pour topping over hot crust and bake 15-20 minutes, or until topping barely jiggles in the center when you shake the pan gently back and forth.
- Cool on a rack.
- Chill before cutting into squares.