Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
An Alice Medrich recipe. A lighter version. 8/22/05 Just adopted this recipe and will try my hand at it this weekend. Never had an Alice Medrich creation that wasn't divine so I'm looking forward to this one. TG
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray pan lightly with vegetable oil spray.
- Make the crust: Stir the 3/4 cup of flour, the cornmeal, salt and baking soda together with a whisk to combine; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
- Add 1/3 cup of the sugar and beat at high speed for about one minute or until mixture loses its crumbly texture and begins to form a mass.
- Beat in the egg yolk, yogurt and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until combined--scrape the bowl and beater.
- Knead the mixture briefly with your hands to mix thoroughly.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan and prick all over with a skewer or fork.
- If pan is lightweight, place on baking sheet.
- Bake until brown on top, about 20-25 minutes.
- Make the topping: Whisk eggs and the egg white with the remaining sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- Whisk in the 1/4 cup of flour.
- When crust is golden, reduce oven temperature down to 300°.
- Pour topping over hot crust and bake 15-20 minutes, or until topping barely jiggles in the center when you shake the pan gently back and forth.
- Cool on a rack.
- Chill before cutting into squares.
i thought that these lemon bars where o.k.
Wonderfuly tart and lemony. The crust is so different with the added cornmeal. My DD fell in love with these. Made for Went to The Market tag Jan 2009 Note: The recipe does not say what size of pan to use. I used an 8X8 pan.
These are an awesome lemon bar cookie. We make lemonbars all the time at the coffee/cafe I work for but not w/real lemons. So, had to try the difference. Boy, does it ever. Really intense and tart w/just the right amount of sweetness. Also, used the juice of one lime as suggested by a previous reviewer who used limes only. This was a great find and tag for me toni. Made for PetParades's, pay-it-forward~