Recipe by The Giggle Box
This recipe came from one of the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. It is very easy and the taste is fantastic!
Top Review by 978609
These are incredible. I've made them ever since the book came out! Everyone always asks for the recipe. Follow the recipe exactly. Lemon juice from a bottle is not the same as freshly squeezed lemon juice. I tried. It sucked. It's a pain to squeeze all the lemons, but totally worth it!
For the Crust
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
For the filling
- 6 extra large eggs, at room temp
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, zest of (4 to 6 lemons)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For crust: Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and salt and add to the butter until just mixed.
- Dump dough onto well floured board and gather into a ball, flatten the dough w/ floured hands and press into a 9x13x2 inch baking sheet, building up a ½ inch edge on all sides.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Leave oven on.
- For the Filling: Whisk together eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.
- Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the filling is set.
- Let cool to room temp.
- Cut into triangles and dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Store in the fridge.