Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Low-fat lemon bars, my favorite!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Spray an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with nonstick spray; set pan aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine 3/4 cup flour and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Cut in margarine until crumbly.
- Pat mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same bowl combine egg and egg white. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy.
- Add 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, water, and baking powder.
- Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour mixture over baked layer in pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until edges are light brown and center is set.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over top. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.
These were delicious!! Even my overly critical grandma loved them. I used 2 eggs instead of an egg substitute, and it turned out wonderfully. Thanks for the recipe! (:
I use real egg instead of substitute... it become very nice.
It was pretty amazing, but a little to sweet for my taste. But they were still really good. My momma and sista looved them!