Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
this goes well with chicken, veal, lamb, just about anything. from bon appetit.
Make and share this lemon barley pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- add onion, salt, pepper, saute about 5 minutes.
- add barley and stir until well coated.
- add chicken stock and bay leaf, bring to boil, cover, lower heat to simmer.
- cook about 25 minutes until barley is tender.
- add carrot and pepper, cover and cook about 6 minutes more.
- remove from heat, stir, cover and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- stir in lemon zest, salt, pepper to taste.
Delightful! I love the texture and flavour of barley, and it sooo good for you too! I cooked this in my rice cooker: I started off the butter and onion, and after about 10 minutes I added the barley and chicken stock. I also added the carrot at this time. Later I lifted the lid briefly and put in the red pepper. For the red pepper, I used some Italian red pepper I roasted and bottled last fall, as red Bell pepper often gives me indigestion. It was perfect! Served with stir-fried cabbage and a broiled pork chop.
A fantastic pilaf that's actually better for you than rice. I especially liked the addition of red bell pepper and thought it separated this recipe from the rest. This is going to become a staple in my house. Thank you.
Great recipe! I think it might be okay with even 1 cup of pearl barley. Tasty and chewy overall.