Recipe by chia
this goes well with chicken, veal, lamb, just about anything. from bon appetit.
Top Review by Jenny Sanders
Delightful! I love the texture and flavour of barley, and it sooo good for you too! I cooked this in my rice cooker: I started off the butter and onion, and after about 10 minutes I added the barley and chicken stock. I also added the carrot at this time. Later I lifted the lid briefly and put in the red pepper. For the red pepper, I used some Italian red pepper I roasted and bottled last fall, as red Bell pepper often gives me indigestion. It was perfect! Served with stir-fried cabbage and a broiled pork chop.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- salt, pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- add onion, salt, pepper, saute about 5 minutes.
- add barley and stir until well coated.
- add chicken stock and bay leaf, bring to boil, cover, lower heat to simmer.
- cook about 25 minutes until barley is tender.
- add carrot and pepper, cover and cook about 6 minutes more.
- remove from heat, stir, cover and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- stir in lemon zest, salt, pepper to taste.