Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are To Die For. A neighbor brought these over for the holidays and I have to tell you, they are addicting!! They are easy to make too, what more could you ask for?? The recipe does not call for it, but I add the zest of 1 lemon and also a glaze on top made with fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Mix flour and powdered sugar together (for crust).
- Cut butter into flour mixture (as for pie dough).
- Spray 9 x 13" baking dish with Pam nonstick spray.
- Spread crust into bottom of pan and pat lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Beat all of the topping ingredients together lightly.
- Pour over the toasted crust and bake an additional 25 minutes at 350°.
- Cut into small squares.
- Be careful not to overcook or they get very crumbly. The crust should be slightly crumbly when you bite into it, but not fall apart in your hands. The topping should be the consistency of lemon meringue pie filling.
I wanted to make a dessert for the hubby when he got home, and this was perfect, because it's easy & uses ingredients I always have on hand. That being said, the bars were pretty good.. I halved the recipe and baked in an 8x8 pan. I also sprinkled some powder sugar on top. My only complaint is that they were almost TOO sweet for me (even without the powder sugar on top). And I think I would like even more of a lemon taste.. so perhaps I'd add more lemon juice next time.
I kept asking my mom's recipe for lemon squares but to no avail thus my quest for a recipe close to hers. I've tried lots of lemon bar recipes here but none came close UNTIL I found this! Moist, decadent, sweet lemony..mmmm so yummy I'd miss a main meal just for this~! Thank you!
After reading the past feedbacks, I changed the recipe a bit. I used less sugar, 6 tbs of lemon juice instead of 4 and it still didnt have enough stong lemon flavor. But, it came out pretty good I have to admit. The main problem, the filling. When done, it did not look like the picture. The filling was about 1/2 an inch think along with the 1/2 inch think crust. Not good. It needs way more filling and less crust. But again, the taste was not bad at all, after modifying.