Recipe by stormylee
An old Finnish recipe that produces a delicate, slightly crumbly cake with a lovely, mild lemon flavour. This is the original recipe - I sometimes add 1/2 ts of lemon extract and 1 ts of vanilla for deeper flavour.
Top Review by Acerast
Lemon Balm was the first plant to pop out in my herb garden this spring so I was very happy to have a use for it (other than as a garnish for iced tea). This is both a pretty and delicious cake. It would be nice with afternoon tea or a bridal shower. I did as you suggested and added lemon extract and vanilla. Wonderful cake stormylee!!
- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 250 g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 130 g all-purpose flour
- 120 g potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 ml chopped fresh lemon balm
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 165 C; grease and flour a 1 1/2 litre cake pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon juice, stir to combine.
- In another bowl, combine all-purpose flour, potato starch and baking powder; sift the flour mixture onto the butter mixture, stir to combine.
- Add chopped lemon balm, stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for a while; after inverting the cake, rinse the cake pan, dry it and place back on the cake. Allow the covered cake to cool completely.