Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a recipe from my latest copy of Taste of Home Magazine. I must confess I haven't yet made it, but it sounds delicious and easy. I have plans to make it very soon. It's a very different type of ice cream cake! Plan ahead as it need to freeze overnight.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter; add sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt.
- Stir in eggs and yolks; cook and stir for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture is thickened and thermometer reads 160*F.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Spread half of the ice cream in the pastry shell.
- Top with Lemon mixture and remaining ice cream.
- Cover and freeze overnight.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar.
- With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute.
- Contine beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160*F, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Immediately spread over frozen pie.
- Bake at 450*F for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.