Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From my local newspaper. I enjoy quick breads. I like interesting combinations like this one. Lemon and dried apricots. YUMMY!
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (2 percent reduced-fat)
- 4 bags english breakfast tea
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus 1 tbsp sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease the bottom of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until hot but not boiling; remove from heat and add tea bags. Cover and let steep 6 to 7 minutes; remove tea bags, gently squeezing out milk, discard bags. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flours, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl, combine egg, oil, lemon juice and 1 cup of the cooled milk tea. (Mixture will curdle slightly.) Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in lemon peel an apricots.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile stir the remaining milk tea with 2 tbsps of sugar. While bread is still in pan brush tea-sugar mixture over the top of the loaf. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool.