Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was adapted from a recipe posted on an old BBS cooking site. (remember those?) Can be made with real sugar and egg; increase baking time. Whole-wheat pastry flour is a finer "grind" than regular whole wheat flour. Can be found in bulk food sections or health food stores.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind (1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 ounces nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a muffin tin with nonfat cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine dry ingredients through poppy seeds.
- In a smaller bowl, mix remaining ingredients.
- Make a well in dry ingredients, and pour in wet mixture; mix until dry ingredients are just moistened. Spoon batter into muffin cups equally. The dough will be stiff, you may have to level each muffin with moistened fingers.
- Bake 15 to 25 minutes (remember when using Splenda, not to overbake, or muffins will be dry). Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack and cool at least 10 minutes.
These are so moist and delcious!!! So citrusy!!! I absolutely love em. The anise and lemon compliment each other so well. The added fact that they're practically FF and LC is such an added bonus. I used reduced fat sour cream in place of the vanilla yogurt. (swore I had some on hand). Then added almost a t of vanilla as well. Also, one whole egg in place of the egg substitute. What a find I've come across!!!
Made for Nuffin But Muffin in KK's forum.~
This is a forgiving recipe. I somehow over looked the orange juice ask for (or it didn't register). As I didn't have any I omitted the lemon extract and used 1/2 c lemon juice and 1/2 cup of water in place of the orange. Also, as Mikekey suggested I cracked two TBS of anise seeds and used them in place of the Poppy seed. Exquisite taste. I love them!
Made this for PAC 2007 - this is a light tasty muffin! Used real sugar and "real" egg! Perfect for breakfast as they are not sweet - perfect with a bit of butter or some jam!! Thanks mikekey! ;)