Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
An elegant and simply delicious dessert. This cake draws rave reviews.
- 1 baked 10 inch angel food cake
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Bake angel food cake as per directions.
- Trim off the crusts and break into bite size pieces.
- Combine 6 egg yolks, 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup of lemon juice.
- Cook in double boiler until thickened (coats spoon).
- Remove from heat and add 1 tbsp.
- unflavored gelatin softened in 1/4 cup of water to mixture and cool.
- Beat 6 egg whites till stiff and add 1/2 cup sugar.
- Fold whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Arrange 1/3 of cake pieces loosely in bottom of tube pan.
- Pour 1/3 of lemon custard mixture over cake.
- Continue until there are 3 layers ending with the custard mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Loosen and remove from pan.
- Frost with whipped cream.
- An alternative method to assembling this cake would be to mix the angel food pieces with the custard mixture and put in a spring form pan. Make it the day before. When released from the pan frost with whipped cream or Cool Whip. This works wonderfully.
My grandmother used to make this (now I'm a grandmother) when I was little and it was always one of my favorites. Light, different, refreshing! She usually frosted it with a fluffy 7 minute frosting or with whipped cream.
This is an absolutely fabulous dessert,lush and lemony and irresistibly good. A marvelous make ahead. Simple to make and elegant. A special occasion dessert and one which I will be serving for Easter. Everyone declared "it's a ten!" Thank you for sharing this keeper!
This is a wonderful cake. Very easy to make. Everyone abolutely loved it. So glad you shared this.