Recipe by Ceezie
A great low fat lemon dessert.
Top Review by rudolphia
I'm a long-time baker and generally get it right the first time, but this recipe did not turn out for me at all. It did not rise as high as it should, and all the dry ingredients settled to the bottom of the pan, forming a mushy, rubbery ring at the top of my cake. After reviewing the directions for this recipe versus some other angel food cake recipes that came out well, I think the suggested technique is to blame.
Angel food cake's light, spongy texture relies on a lot of air being incorporated into the egg whites. To keep from deflating the bubbles, this recipe tells you to fold in the dry ingredients, but the flour really needs more help than folding to really incorporate into the egg. My other angel food cake recipes tell you to use a mixer on stir speed to incorporate the flour. I'm going to try this one again with that technique, and I'll update my review.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 14 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Lemon Glaze Icing
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 -5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F Sift flour into a dry mixing bowl. Sift sugar into a separate bowl and set both aside.
- Using a copper or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites first until foamy. At this point add salt and cream of tartar if using stainless steel bowl and then beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold in sugar with rubber spatula. Next, fold flour in to egg white and sugar mixture in 2 batches. Now, gently fold in vanilla, almond and lemon juice. When all has been incorporated, pour batter into a 10-inch non-stick tube pan and smooth out top.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour until cake is pale creamy brown color and top springs back when gently touched with finger and/or a wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool cake upside down in pan.
- When cool, remove cake from pan and frost with Lemon Glaze Icing
- To make glaze: Sift sugar into a small bowl. Add lemon juice and beat until smooth. Drip, drizzle or pour icing on top of cake after it has cooled.