CREAMY, LIGHT, FRESH & TART
Make and share this Lemon Angel Food Cake Filled With Lemon Curd and Fresh Raspberry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 14 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups lemon curd (Lemon Curd (Stove Top or Microwave Method) Lime or Orange Curd)
- 1 pint fresh raspberry
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Have ready an ungreased 10- inch tube pan.
- Sift the flour and the confectioners' sugar together into a medium bowl.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until foamy.
- Increase the speed to medium-high, add the cream of tartar and salt, and beat just until the egg whites form soft peaks.
- Add the granulated sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat just until the whites form stiff, glossy peaks.
- Add the vanilla and lemon oil and beat until well combined Sift one-fourth of the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold in with a whisk or a rubber spatula.
- Continue gently folding, one quarter at a time, until all the flour mixture has been added, being careful not to over mix.
- Transfer the batter to the pan.
- Run a table knife through the batter to remove any large air pockets, and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the cake pulls away from the side of the pan.
- Turn the pan upside down, and balance it on its elongated neck or pan legs (if it if has them), or hang the tube upside down from the neck of a tall wine bottle.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Turn the pan right side up.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and between the cake and the tube.
- Top the cake with a flat plate, invert it, give a sharp downward rap to the pan to dislodge the cake and lift off the pan.
- If the pan bottom is removable, slide a knife between the pan bottom and the cake to release it.
- Stir the lemon glaze ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before using.
- Cut cake in half.
- Once completely cooled fill with lemon curd (SEE my recipe posted).
- Top Curd with Raspberries.
- Put top half of cake on raspberries then top with Glaze.
- Pouring over the cake and let stand for at least 10 outside minutes, or until the glaze is set.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to cut the cake.