Recipe by hannahactually
This is a light, refreshing, healthy dessert that sneaks in one more serving of fruit for the day. I like it topped with Cool Whip.
Top Review by Ms B.
I have always used box mixes for angel food cake, and tried this recipe as my first attempt from scratch. I think that I might have over mixed the batter when folding the flour into the stiff egg whites, as my cake wasn't quite as tall or as light as I thought it should be. But, the flavor was good. I also questioned if the blueberry sauce should be cooked to achieve a syrupy consistency, but went with the recipe directions and didn't have a problem. We served this cake and sauce with real whipped cream.
For the lemon angel cake
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups superfine sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups egg whites, at room temperature (about 10 large egg whites)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
For the blueberry sauce
- 1 cup frozen blueberries or 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- sugar (2 to 4 tablespoons, to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift the flour twice with 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form when the mixer is removed from the batter.
- Add half of the remaining sugar and beat for 1 minute. Add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla, and add lemon zest.
- Fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, until just incorporated.
- Put the batter in an ungreased 10" tube pan and bake until the cake is a light golden brown and springy to the touch, about 1 hour. Invert the pan and let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan.
- While the cake is baking, puree the berries in a blender with the lemon juice. Blend in the sugar by the tablespoonful, tasting after each addition, until the desired degree of sweetness is reached.
- Strain through a fine strainer, pressing with a rubber spatula to release the juices.
- Place 1 slice of cake on each of 6 plates. Spoon the blueberry sauce on and around the cake.