Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from an old cookbook. This is soooooooo good. I make it once a week. My husband and kids are always fighting over this cake.
- 250 g butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups white self rising flour
- 200 g plain yogurt
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 cup honey
- Grease 20cm bab pan,cream butter, rind and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time, stir in coconut, almonds, and juice.
- Add sifted flour and yogurt in 2 batches.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peak form, fold into cake mixture.
- Pour into pan,Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour.
- spoon hot syrupj over hot cake, cool.
- HONEY SYRUP.
- Remove rind from lemon.
- Squeeze juice out of lemon (need 1/4 cup juice).
- Combine rind with juice and honey and melt until honey is melted, do not boil.
This really is an exceptionally good cake. The cake is generous, the texture is very light, and the flavours of citrus, coconut and almond came through harmoniously. I used home-made greek yogurt as the base of the cake and was very happy with the result. I used the zest of one meyer lemon and one navel orange in my version, and used 2 tblespns orange/lemon juice in the cake mix. It gave it a lovely zing. I used the remaining juice to make a glaze, instead of the honey glaze suggested. Thank you for a terrific recipe, one that I'll make again, and be very happy to include it in my celebration cake list.