Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Published in Bon Appetit 2009. http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2009/04/lemon_and_white_chocolate_mousse_parfaits_with_strawberries Prep time is a guess.
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons lemon peel, finely grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled (plus 2 2/3 cups)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces white chocolate, high-quality bar (such as Lindt or Perugina)
- 5 cups strawberries, sliced hulled (about 2 pounds)
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt in medium metal bowl to blend. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until mixture is very thick and thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F to 170°F, about 6 minutes. Remove bowl from over water. Cool lemon mousse base to room temperature.
- Combine 1/4 cup cream and white chocolate in another medium metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir constantly until chocolate is soft and almost melted. Remove bowl from over water and stir until white chocolate is melted and smooth. Cool white chocolate mousse base to room temperature.
- Beat remaining 2 2/3 cups cream in large bowl until firm peaks form. Divide whipped cream between both mousse bases, folding in 1 cup at a time (about 3 cups for each).
- Layer scant 1/4 cup lemon mousse in each of 8 parfait glasses or wineglasses; top with 2 tablespoons strawberries. Layer scant 1/4 cup white chocolate mousse over strawberries. Repeat layering 1 more time. *****DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. Cover and chill remaining strawberries.
It may take a little time to make these, but it's worth. If you don't use a metal bowl, the lemon mixture will never make it to 160F. It will still thicken if it makes it to 150F.
This is well worth the extra time it takes to make! Tho not necessary, my only suggestion is to strain the lemon curd prior to folding in the whipped cream. And DO make it a day ahead. Guests will be very impressed! Thanks for posting, Queen Dana.
This is the bomb! A lot of work but fabulous! Thanks.