Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Very yummy and easy loaf to make to have with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 115 g unsalted butter, softened
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 215 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 125 ml milk
- 55 g walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven 350'F/180'C.
- Line a 9 x 5in loaf tin with greaseproof paper and grease.
- With electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.
- until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Add lemon rind and juice and stir until blended. set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder, fold into butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk. Fold in walunts. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites and salt to stiff peaks.Fold into walnut mixture carefully until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake until skewer comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before turning out on to rack to cool completely.