1/1 Photo of Lemon and Poppy Seed Melt Away Cookies
4 hrs 30 mins
As far as I can tell, this is quite different than other lemon and poppy seed cookie postings on zaar. Nice to serve at a holiday gathering. You can also freeze the cookies prior to coating in powdered sugar. Then when company is coming just thaw for about 15 minutes and coat in powdered sugar as directed. This recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In medium mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- 2Add granulated sugar, poppy seeds, and baking soda and beat until combined.
- 3Beat in egg yolk, milk, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined.
- 4Beat in as much of flour as you can with electric mixer, then using wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- 5Divide dough in half.
- 6Shape each half into 9 inch long roll.
- 7Wrap both "logs" in plastic wrap.
- 8Chill in refrigerator for 4 or more hours (up to 24).
- 9Using a sharp knife (or string/dental floss) cut dough into 1/2 inch slices.
- 10Place slices 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- 11Bake at 375°F for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottom is light brown.
- 12Place powdered sugar in plastic bag. While still warm transfer several cookies at a time to bag and shake gently until coated. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. When completely cool, shake cookies in powdered sugar one more time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon and Poppy Seed Melt Away Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.4
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 12.0 mg
- Sodium 23.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 0.6 g