Recipe by DogAndCatDoc
As far as I can tell, this is quite different than other lemon and poppy seed cookie postings on zaar. Nice to serve at a holiday gathering. You can also freeze the cookies prior to coating in powdered sugar. Then when company is coming just thaw for about 15 minutes and coat in powdered sugar as directed. This recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies book.
Top Review by mmmm_gin
These are easy to make and have a delicate taste that isn't boring and isn't too sweet. Sometimes I opt not to do the powdered sugar. Still good.
The dough almost always comes out too dry for me after adding all of the flour to be able to roll them out without them crumbling. Kneading in a couple of tablespoons of water or milk very gradually usually does the trick. Only enough to make everything hold.
Be sure to wrap your dough up nicely. I put the rolls in a large ziplock after wrapping them in cling wrap to make sure other smells lurking in the fridge don't move in on my dough.
The peel of half of a medium lemon should be enough for the recipe. I make sure I don't use any of the white pith and just carefully slice off the yellow, throw it in the blender, and the pieces come out fine enough.
Great recipe. Thank you for sharing!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- Add granulated sugar, poppy seeds, and baking soda and beat until combined.
- Beat in egg yolk, milk, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much of flour as you can with electric mixer, then using wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into 9 inch long roll.
- Wrap both "logs" in plastic wrap.
- Chill in refrigerator for 4 or more hours (up to 24).
- Using a sharp knife (or string/dental floss) cut dough into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place slices 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottom is light brown.
- Place powdered sugar in plastic bag. While still warm transfer several cookies at a time to bag and shake gently until coated. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. When completely cool, shake cookies in powdered sugar one more time.