Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you like calamari this is to die for. It is based on a recipe from the Womens Weekly. Cook time does not take time for rice to be cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 4 cups of cooked calrose rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon mild English mustard
- 6 medium calamari, hoods (960g)
Lemon and Mustard Dressing
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons mild English mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oil in pan and cook white onion and garlic, stirring until onion is soft.
- Add spring onion, cook stirring until just soft.
- Combine rice, onion mixture, cheese, rind, egg and mustard in a large bowl.
- (Can be made ahead to this stage. Cover refrigerate overnight.) Spoon mixture into calamari hoods, securing end with toothpicks.
- Cook calamari on oiled barbecue, uncovered until browned all over and tender.
- Serve drizzled with Lemon and Mustard Dressing.
- Lemon and Mustard Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well.
We do a similar recipe (kalamari stuffed with rice) here in Greece. This one had lovely citrusy flavours - very sophisticated. I asked Latchy - the calrose rice is similar to Arborio, which is what I used.