Recipe by AZPARZYCH
An intense lemon-lime filling is cradled by a shortbread-style butter crust, which is made especially tender by using a combination of all-purpose and cake flours. Prep time does not include time needed to chill the crust. By Elinor Klivans
Top Review by twissis
Made for your Wk 3 Football Pool win, this dessert was a big hit at a family dinner. I debated for a fleeting moment whether I would invest the time for the crust prep vs a more std pie crust, but I am so glad I did. The crust is fantastic & worth every moment of prep time spent. Altho made as written, DH & I are esp fond of the lime flavor & I used all lime juice (+ green food coloring) for the filling vs a mix of lemon & lime. The filling texture is more cheesecake than custard & that may have happened since it did not appear set & I cooked it longer than suggested. The next time I make this, I will bake it as suggested to see if it sets up well as it chills. Thx for sharing this yummy recipe w/us. :-)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, cake flour and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar in large bowl at medium speed until smooth. Beat in 1 egg yolk and vanilla until combined. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Shape into flat round; cover and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes or until firm.
- Roll dough between two sheets of waxed paper into 12-inch round 1/8 inch thick. Remove top piece of waxed paper; invert dough into tart pan. Remove waxed paper; carefully press dough into pan. Trim dough even with top of pan; freeze 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F.
- Line crust with foil, covering edges; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 minutes; remove foil and weights. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Bake 10 minutes to firm and lightly brown crust. Cool on wire rack while preparing filling.
- Whisk condensed milk and lemon and lime juices in large bowl until blended. Whisk in 5 egg yolks and lemon peel until blended; pour into slightly cooled crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until center is firm and set. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Serve chilled. Refrigerate leftovers.