Recipe by UmmBinat
ZWT6 Isle of Man. "This is a real spring time pudding, nice and light with a tangy flavour – yum!" Taken from http://isleofmanfood.com by gourmetshark.
For the sponge
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 4 ounces self raising flour (ideally from Laxey flour mill)
- 3 eggs (Gellings are always good)
- 50 g of isle of man creamery butter, soft
- 110 g caster sugar
- icing sugar
For the filling
- 1 (284 ml) cartonof isle of man creameries double cream
- 4 table spoons of a good quality lemon curd
- 1 damp cloth
Directions See How It's Made
- Set your oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
- Take a thin shallow baking tray approx 24in x 34in, 1.5in deep and lightly grease and line this with a baking sheet.
- Grate the zest from the lime and the lemons.
- Combine the zest, butter, flour, eggs and caster sugar in a bowl and whisk together to a smooth mixture.
- Add the mixture to the tin and smooth over to make an even surface.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes or until the sponge is a light and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Now the next stage can be a little tricky but don’t let that put you off!
- Get another piece of baking sheet that is bigger than the sponge.
- Lay it flat on a table and sprinkle over the icing sugar.
- Then carefully turn out the sponge on to the sheet, peeling off the original baking sheet piece.
- Tip: Cover with the damp cloth for 5-10 minutes (this will make it easier to roll later!).
- Remove the damp cloth and roll up the sponge in the paper and leave this until the sponge has completely cooled.
- Whilst the sponge is cooling whisk your cream until thick and then fold in the lemon curd.
- Unwrap the sponge and add the filling, then re roll again without the baking sheet.
- Dust the with more icing sugar and garnish with some of the lemon and lime zest.
- Delicious and tangy with the smoothness of the cream. mmmmm.
- Give it a go!