Recipe by Sewwhatsports
A refreshing low fat pie for a great end to a summer meal, or a meal to remind you of summer.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons low-fat yogurt
- 1 -2 tablespoon cold water (15 or 25 mL)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 0.25 (50 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lime zest (about 2 limes)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons margarine or 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl or food processor, combine flour and sugar; cut in margarine just until crumbly.
- With fork, gradually stir in yogurt and just enough of the cold water so dough comes together.
- Pat onto bottom and sides of pan.
- Bake approximately 18 minutes or until light brown.
- Raise heat to 425 F (220 C).
- Combine lime and lemon juices, lime and lemon zest, egg and egg white in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, water and cornstarch.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 1 minute, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and thick.
- Pour a bit of the cornstarch mixture into the lemon-lime mixture and whisk together.
- Pour all back into saucepan and simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in margarine. Pour in crust.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy; continue to beat, gradually adding sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over filling.
- Bake approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.