Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A refreshing low fat pie for a great end to a summer meal, or a meal to remind you of summer.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml cold margarine or 59.14 ml butter
- 44.37 ml low-fat yogurt
- 14.79-29.58 ml cold water (15 or 25 mL)
- 59.14 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- 13 ml fresh lemon juice
- 7.39 ml grated lime zest (about 2 limes)
- 7.39 ml grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 314.66 ml granulated sugar
- 295.73 ml water
- 78.07 ml cornstarch
- 9.85 ml margarine or 9.85 ml butter
- 4 egg whites
- 3.69 ml cream of tartar
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- In a bowl or food processor, combine flour and sugar; cut in margarine just until crumbly.
- With fork, gradually stir in yogurt and just enough of the cold water so dough comes together.
- Pat onto bottom and sides of pan.
- Bake approximately 18 minutes or until light brown.
- Raise heat to 425 F (220 C).
- Combine lime and lemon juices, lime and lemon zest, egg and egg white in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, water and cornstarch.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 1 minute, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and thick.
- Pour a bit of the cornstarch mixture into the lemon-lime mixture and whisk together.
- Pour all back into saucepan and simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in margarine. Pour in crust.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy; continue to beat, gradually adding sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over filling.
- Bake approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.