This recipe is delicious and versatile - it can be cooked at a gentle simmer on the stove top, or in the oven. I use skinless chicken thighs which have one bone still attached - I don't know the name of the cut. When measuring the amounts in this recipe I use 20ml tablespoons. The sauce is plentiful but thinnish. I like to pour it over the chicken and some rice. However, if you wish, you can remove the chicken when cooked and reduce the sauce to make it thicker. Adapted from a recipe by Ian Parmenter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg skinless chicken piece (preferably leg pieces)
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 small lemons, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 glass sherry wine (medium to dry)
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- sliced spring onion (to garnish)
- chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- toasted cashew nuts (to garnish)
- 1Marinate the chicken pieces in the combined soy sauce and sesame oil for anything between one to 24 hours.
- 2Combine the grated rind, lemon juice, honey, chicken stock and sherry.
- 3When ready to cook, drain the chicken pieces and pat dry with a kitchen paper towel. Brown in hot oil , then stir in the ginger and cook a minute longer.
- 4Pour the lemon and honey mixture and any remaining marinade over the chicken in the pan, cover and simmer gently for about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Alternatively, place the covered dish in a moderately hot oven and cook 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.
- 5Serve with hot rice , pour the sauce over, and garnish with chopped spring onions, cilantro and cashew nuts.
- 6Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon and Honey Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.9
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 175.7 mg
- Sodium 480.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 54.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, juice and zest of