Recipe by Dave C
Got this recipe from a friend in Virginia. Thanks Val. :>)
Top Review by Denise!
This is the best roast chicken I've ever had. I made two changes - I stuffed the chicken cavity with a sliced whole onion and lemons and I stuffed sliced lemon under the skin of the breast meat. I've never had chicken this moist and so flavorful! This is a new family favorite, thanks!
- 2 garlic cloves
- kosher salt
- 1 lemon, halved and juiced, halves reserved
- 4.92 ml rosemary
- 4.92 ml sweet paprika
- 3.69 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml hot paprika
- fresh ground pepper
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1360.77 g chicken
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- On a work surface, mince the garlic with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Transfer the garlic to a small bowl and whisk in the lemon juice, rosemary, sweet paprika, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, whisk in the olive oil.
- Using your fingers, gently loosen the skin from the chicken breasts, thighs and drumsticks; try not to tear the skin.
- Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper and put the chicken in a roasting pan.
- Using a small spoon, pour all but 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mixture under the skin of the chicken, rubbing it into the breasts, thighs and drumsticks.
- Rub the butter under the skin of the breast meat.
- Rub the remaining 1 tablespoon of the seasoned oil all over the chicken and season it with salt.
- Put the reserved lemon halves in the cavity of the chicken and tie the legs together with twine.
- Roast the chicken for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices from the cavity run clear and the chicken is browned and crisp.
- Let the chicken rest in the roasting pan for 15 minutes.
- Tilt the chicken to drain the juices from the cavity into the pan; transfer the chicken to a carving board.
- Pour the pan juices into a bowl and skin the fat from the surface.
- Strain the juice into a small saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the pan juices.