Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Got this recipe from a friend in Virginia. Thanks Val. :>)
Make and share this Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- On a work surface, mince the garlic with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Transfer the garlic to a small bowl and whisk in the lemon juice, rosemary, sweet paprika, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, whisk in the olive oil.
- Using your fingers, gently loosen the skin from the chicken breasts, thighs and drumsticks; try not to tear the skin.
- Season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper and put the chicken in a roasting pan.
- Using a small spoon, pour all but 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mixture under the skin of the chicken, rubbing it into the breasts, thighs and drumsticks.
- Rub the butter under the skin of the breast meat.
- Rub the remaining 1 tablespoon of the seasoned oil all over the chicken and season it with salt.
- Put the reserved lemon halves in the cavity of the chicken and tie the legs together with twine.
- Roast the chicken for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices from the cavity run clear and the chicken is browned and crisp.
- Let the chicken rest in the roasting pan for 15 minutes.
- Tilt the chicken to drain the juices from the cavity into the pan; transfer the chicken to a carving board.
- Pour the pan juices into a bowl and skin the fat from the surface.
- Strain the juice into a small saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the pan juices.
This is the best roast chicken I've ever had. I made two changes - I stuffed the chicken cavity with a sliced whole onion and lemons and I stuffed sliced lemon under the skin of the breast meat. I've never had chicken this moist and so flavorful! This is a new family favorite, thanks!
Very tasty, although I had a hard time finding the specific kinds of paprika in the recipe and had to use the plain old stuff. I roasted some potatoes with it, and it made a wonderful zesty gravy also!!!
Well Dave Caster you certainly have yourself one delicious bird here! I hadn't roast a chicken in sometime, but I knew there was a lemon / garlic recipe out there that I had previously used and enjoyed... this was it! This oh-so-simple way of roasting a chicken is nothing short of a classic recipe in our kitchen from now on. The bird had a wonderful enhancing not overpowering flavor, the skin was crisp and the meat was especially moist. I also, couldn't find the difference in paprika so I used Spanish, and it was bang on. I'm submitting a photo of this "Chick" in appreciation of your sharing such a wonderful recipe!