Prep 13 mins
Cook 13 mins
This is a wonderfully different pasta dish. Light, quick, delicious and easy. The key is to have everything prepped before cooking because it comes together really fast. Great served with grilled anything but really nice with salmon. Ronzoni has come out with a thin spaghetti called Smart Taste that is made with whole wheat flour, looks and tastes like regular pasta but has SIX grams of fiber. Fantastic!
- 1 lb spaghetti, thin
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lemons, juiced and zested
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- cooked pasta water, two ladles of
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta as directed, adding plenty of kosher or sea salt when the water comes to a boil.
- Mince the shallots and garlic (but do not combine).
- Chop the parsley.
- Zest and juice the lemons.
- Grate the cheese.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and Chile flakes and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir and remove from the heat until pasta is ready.
- When pasta is ready, put two ladles of the pasta water into the shallot mixture and return the skillet to the heat.
- Drain the pasta and add to the shallot mixture.
- Add the parsley, lemon juice and zest.
- Toss and pour into a large bowl.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
What can I say - Delicious, Easy, Great for a quick weeknight dinner. The lemon makes all the difference as it lends it freshness. Definitely a keeper.
Loved it! I made this recipe as a side dish to some steaks we were having and it was perfect. I used the full tsp of red peper flakes. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
This is a definite keeper!! :) Made this tonight, DD helped out with the preparations, and we dined on this spicy/sweet pasta dish with baked chicken breasts and a green salad. I did cut the red pepper flakes by half, as we girls can't take too much heat; the change was just right for us. DELISH flavor combinations. Thanks Daffazalea Ranch -- an excellent dish. Made for FALL 2008 PAC.