Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I bought some filo pastry for something and then never used it, so looked up a couple of recipes. This is similar to one I found and, having tried it last night, I really liked it. It'll be going on my repertoire of easy, tasty evening meals. The chicken was cooked beautifully - really juicy and the sauce was really flavoursome - even though some seeped out. I learnt after breaking through the filo pastry on the second one that it would be easier to fold up if you put a tea towel or length of clingfilm on the work top before you lay out the pastry, and then use this to lift and roll the chicken breast. Filo pastry dries out really quickly, so once you've removed it from the packet, remove each sheet only when you need it and keep the rest covered with a tea towel at all times. If you're making more than two parcels, you should also cover the parcels as you make them.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 onion, very finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 125 g melted butter
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, half the garlic, oregano, sage and half the emmental together. Add a pinch of salt.
- In another bowl, mix the melted butter and the remainder of the garlic.
- Place one sheet of filo pastry on the work surface and brush with the butter mix. Place another sheet of pastry directly on top and brush with more butter.
- Position a breast of chicken one-third of the way from the short end of the pastry. Spoon half the mayonnaise mixture on top.
- Fold up the short end of the pastry over the chicken, then fold in the two long sides. Roll the chicken to form a parcel.
- Repeat to make a second parcel and place both on a baking tray (or I prefer to use a large flat glass dish).
- Brush the top of each with any remaining butter and sprinkle on the remaining emmental.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the chicken cooked.