Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee on the food network. A simple but elegant dessert to present to company or for a family holiday get together.
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups nonfat milk
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box fat free sugar-free lemon pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely minced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 8 ounces whipped topping, divided
- fresh mint sprig, for garnish
- fresh strawberries, for garnish
- For Meringue Layers:
- Preheat oven to 275ºF.
- Line 2 baking sheets with kitchen parchment cut to fit.
- On each of the pieces of parchment, draw 2 (8-inch) circles using a cake pan as a guide.
- Turn the parchment over with drawing face down on the pan.
- You should be able to still see the circles. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Still beating on high speed, gradually add sugar and strawberry extract until the whites form stiff, but not dry, peaks.
- Divide the meringue among the 4 circles drawn on the parchment.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread meringue to the edges of the circles.
- Bake in oven for 50 minutes.
- When meringues are done baking, turn off the oven leaving the meringues inside to dry.
- For Lemon Filling:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine nonfat milk, lemon pudding mix, and lemon zest.
- Whisk continually for 2 minutes until filling mixture starts to thicken.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For Strawberry Filling:
- In another medium mixing bowl, gently fold sliced strawberries into 1/2 container of whipped topping.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to assemble dacquoise.
- For best results, assemble dacquoise RIGHT BEFORE SERVING.
- Place 1 meringue circle on a cake plate.
- Evenly spread half of the lemon filling.
- Top with another meringue circle and spread with strawberry mixture.
- Repeat with another meringue circle and lemon filling.
- Place final meringue circle and top with remaining whipped topping.
- Garnish with mint sprig and fresh strawberries.