Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from The African Kitchen. Prep time includes freezing time.
Make and share this Lemon and Cumin Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups superfine sugar
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 freshly grated lemons, zest of
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Sift flour and baking soda together and set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in egg yolks, lemon zest and cumin.
- Fold in flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Shape into a 2" cylinder, wrap, and freeze until hard.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4" slices.
- Place on baking sheet, leaving room to spread.
- Bake until firm to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
This recipe was very intriguing. I love lemon flavored desserts and the cumin adds an interesting warmth. I feel like this is an acquired taste. When I sampled the batter, I didn't love it because cumin is something I've only associated with savory dishes. I felt like the flavors were clashing. But after I tried a cookie out of the oven, it seemed to make more sense. Perhaps the caramelization of the sugar rounds out the contrast in flavors? While this wouldn't be my first cookie choice if I was craving dessert, I didn't hate it either. Thank you for posting! Reviewed for ZWT - 7.