Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From B&G canning mag. Also good for a spicy bloody mary garnish. Green or yellow beans or mixed.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs fresh beans, trimmed (about 11 cups)
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 8 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 8 slices lemon peel
- In large pot combine water, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolves. Take off heat. Add beans, return to the boil, cook for 1 minute. Remove beans, keep liquid in pot. Return liquid to a simmer, covered.
- Add 2 bay leaves, 2 strips lemon peel and 1 teaspoon black peppercorns into hot sterlized pint jars. Pack hot beans into jars lengthwise, cut beans if needed. Leaving 1/2" headspace.
- Poor hot liquid into jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove bubbles, wipe rims and add lids.
- Process in water bath for 10 minutes. Start timing once water is boiling.