Recipe by I'mPat
I am under instructions that I should eat fresh salmon twice a week and this recipe from Australian BH&G Diabetic Living really fits the bill,
Top Review by Outta Here
WOW! 10 STARS for this. Right into my best of 2013 book. Great flavors. Instructions look difficult but it was really easy to put together. For the potatoes, I used recipe #414921. The sauce would be good on it's own over asparagus or broccoli instead of Hollandaise. (or on eggs benedict). We will be having this again.
- 1 bunch asparagus (woody ends trimmed)
- 2 (150 g) salmon fillets (skinless and boneless)
- 20 g breadcrumbs (1/2 cup fresh made from Italian style bread)
- 1 tablespoon basil (fresh finely shredded)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest (finely grated)
- 250 g baby potatoes (halved and steamed to serve)
- 1⁄2 bunch baby carrots (steamed to serve)
- 1⁄2 lemon (cut into wedges to serve)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 leek (cut into short strips)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour (wholemeal)
- 160 ml skim milk (2/3 cup)
- 20 g goat's cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- black pepper (freshly ground)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced).
- Divide asparagus into 2 bunches and put in a shallow oven proof dish and place a salmon fillet on top of each bunch.
- Goat's Cheese Sauce - heat the oil in a medium non stick frying pan on medium and add leek and garlic and stir,.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook stirring often for 7 to 8 minutes or until leek softens.
- Add flour to pan and increase heat of medium and cook stirring for 1 minutes and remove pan from heat.
- Stir in the milk and return pan to heat and cook stirring until sauce come to a simmer and thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in goat's cheese and lemon juice and season with pepper to taste.
- Spread breadcrumbs over a baking tray and bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until light golden and then transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly and then stir in basil and lemon zest.
- Spoon sauce of salmon and prinkle breadcrumb mixture over and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until salmon is cooked to your liking and the breadcrumbs are light golden.
- Place asparagus and salmon on plates and accompany with the potatoes, carrots and lemon wedges.