Cook1 hr 5 mins
Found in the 2001 cookbook, Luscious Lemon Desserts, this recipe makes for some crunchy, flavorful cookies!
- Make sure there is a rack in the middle slot of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 1 large nonstick baking sheet & have 1 ungreased baking sheet ready.
- Toast almonds on the ungreased baking sheet for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a small skillet, toast the aniseed, shaking the pan, over medium heat for 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Process sugar & zest in a food processor until zest is finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, coriander, baking powder & salt.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter & suger mixture together, beginning on low speed & increasing to medium-high, until combined well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then reduce the speed to low & add flour mixture & aniseed, beating just until blended.
- With a rubber spatula, stir in the almonds.
- Halve the dough & place both portions on the buttered baking sheet.
- Quickly form each piece into a 12:x1" log, & place them at least 3 inches apart on the buttered baking sheet, then smooth the 2 logs with dampened fingers.
- Bake for 35 minutes, turning the baking sheet once, or until logs are golden brown & beginning to crack on top.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer logs to a cutting board & with a sharp knife, cut each log into 1/8-inch slices.
- Arrange slices on the same baking sheet & return to the oven.
- Bake for about 16 minutes, turning the cookies over halfway through the baking, until crisp & golden brown on both sides.
- Let cool on a wire rack, then store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.