Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A nice combination of flavors. Cooking time does not include cooling time. NOTE: Baking time is APPROXIMATE. Oven temps. vary, so check cake after 55 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 5 eggs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Spread almonds on a baking sheet and place in oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of toasted almonds evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and lemon zest until fluffy.
- Add flour, stir just until blended. Add lemon juice and extracts. Stir.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the remaining almonds.
- Scrape the batter into the bundt pan and bake until cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. (After 30 minutes, cover top of cake tightly with foil.). (SEE NOTE in description.).
- While cake is cooking, prepare syrup: In a saucepan, slowly heat the sugar, amaretto and lemon juice, stirring until the sugar melts. Reserve until ready for use.
- When the cake is done, remove from oven; with a cake tester, poke holes all over the bottom of the cake (which is now on top). Carefully drizzle half the syrup into the holes. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Gently invert the cake onto another rack and remove from pan. Brush top and sides of cake with remaining syrup. Let cake cool completely.
Very tasty but I felt I should have checked the cake after 55 min.Will make again.