Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I jotted this recipe down from a magazine at my mom's house. It is one of my daughter-in-law's favorite and she requests it whenever they come over for dinner.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon rind, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Beat softened butter at medium speed with mixer. Gradually add 1 cup granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just blended after each egg.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Alternate with milk and add flour mixture to butter mixture. Beat on low speed, begin and end with flour mixture. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon rind and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
- Spoon into greased and floured 8x4 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until wooden pick stuck in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
- For Glaze: Stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon over top of bread and let it drip down the sides. Stir together remaining tablespoon of lemon rind and tablespoon of granulated sugar. Sprinkle on top of bread while glaze is still wet.
I found the bread to be a little dry, and not as lemony as I'd have liked. The glaze was very good, tho. I think next time I'd add a little lemon juice to the bread batter.