Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was originally a recipe from Good Food magazine, but I didn't have any raisins or coconut, so I subbed the almonds and dates.
For the Base
- 85 g self raising flour
- 85 g porridge oats
- 50 g light muscovado sugar
- 85 g butter
For the Topping
- 25 g butter
- 3 eggs
- 175 g light muscovado sugar
- 140 g chopped dates
- 85 g ground almonds
- 1 grated lemon, zest of, pluss 2tablesp juice
For the Icing
- 50 g icing sugar
- 1 grated small lemon, zest of
- 2 -3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4.
- Put flour,oats,sugar in bowl and rub in butter to make crumbs.
- Put into a shallow 26x18cm baking tin and press down until smooth.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until pale gold.
- Meanwhile make the topping.
- Melt the butter and leave to cool.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in remaining topping ingredients.
- Pour over the base and bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden and set.
- Mark into 12 and leave to cool before cutting.
- Put the icing sugar in a bowl with lemon zest and stir in enough lemon juice to make a smooth icing.
- drizzle diagonally over each bar.