Recipe by swissms
Exceptional taste and texture. Adapted from Bon Appetit, April 1999. I use Red Mill brand almond meal rather than grind my own almonds. If you do not have buttermilk, you can substitute yogurt, sour cream, or milk.
Top Review by kit jun
Loved the cake! I added lemon juice to the batter and tripled almond extract. Cake was sweet, tangy, and had an ultra moist nutty texture. Served strawberries on the side but while pleasant did not blend with the flavors as well I as I hoped. All in all, a recipe I will keep for years.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (original recipe called for 2 1/4 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature (original recipe called for unsalted)
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups sliced hulled strawberries (original recipe called for 16 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (original recipe called for 1 1/2 T)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour 9 x 5 x 2 1/2-inch metal loaf pan.
- Sift flour, salt and baking soda into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat 1 1/2 cups sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in almond extract.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Add ground almonds and lemon peel and beat 1 minute. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until deep golden brown and cracked on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 15 minutes. ((Note: original recipe called for a baking time of 1 hour 25 minutes, however, in my oven the loaf was done within an hour.)).
- Meanwhile, stir remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 5 tablespoons lemon juice in small bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Place rack on baking sheet. Turn cake out onto rack, top side up. Using skewer or toothpick, poke holes 1 to 2 inches apart all over cake. Brush top and sides of cake with all of lemon glaze, allowing some glaze to soak into cake before brushing with more. Cool cake completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.) Slice cake. Serve with Balsamic Strawberries.
- Balsamic Strawberries:.
- Toss strawberries, sugar and balsamic vinegar in medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature until juices form, at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.