Prep 20 mins
Cook 36 mins
My children and I love biscotti cookies but they are so high in fat. So I was glad to find this one in the Diabetic Cooking magazine (July/Aug 2003). It has less fat and salt. Thank you MG.
- 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (not sliced)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat margarine in bowl.
- Add sugar, lemon rind, baking powder, baking soda, salt and eggs.
- Beat until well blended.
- Beat in flour to crumb texture.
- Dough will be fairly dry.
- Stir in almonds.
- Kneading the dough slightly, shape into two 9-inch logs.
- Flatten logs to 1 1/2-inch thick.
- Place on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 1 hour.
- Slice crosswise into 16 1/2-inch slices per roll.
- Place cut side down on baking sheet and bake 8 minutes.
- Flip biscotti over and bake 8 minutes more or until crisp and golden.
- Store in air-tight container for up to three days.
This is a lovely biscotti. I used Splenda for the sugar and 1/4 cup of egg white to reduce sugar and fat as much as I could. I also added 1/2 a tsp of lemon extract and was glad I did, the mix was quite dry and I ended up adding another 2 tbsp of egg white and a tbsp of milk to get it to a workable moisture level. I sliced the bar after 10 mins and it cut very well at that point. I rebaked them standing upright for 12 mins and I'm very happy with the result. OH! I should also mention that mine were Lemon Walnut because my almonds had vanished. Thanks for this one Char!
This is a nice easy recipe. I melted the butter before adding the other ingredients to make mixing easier. I didn't cool for as long as suggested before slicing them. Making this again, I would add some almond or vanilla essence, maybe lemon or orange extract as although they're light and crisp, the lemon flavour needs some assistance.