My children and I love biscotti cookies but they are so high in fat. So I was glad to find this one in the Diabetic Cooking magazine (July/Aug 2003). It has less fat and salt. Thank you MG.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat margarine in bowl.
- Add sugar, lemon rind, baking powder, baking soda, salt and eggs.
- Beat until well blended.
- Beat in flour to crumb texture.
- Dough will be fairly dry.
- Stir in almonds.
- Kneading the dough slightly, shape into two 9-inch logs.
- Flatten logs to 1 1/2-inch thick.
- Place on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 1 hour.
- Slice crosswise into 16 1/2-inch slices per roll.
- Place cut side down on baking sheet and bake 8 minutes.
- Flip biscotti over and bake 8 minutes more or until crisp and golden.
- Store in air-tight container for up to three days.