Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not-too-sweet nut bread. Delicious with softened cream cheese, and with a cup of hot chocolate. My mother made these to give to friends at Christmas.
- 1⁄2 cup oleo or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 small ripe bananas, , mashed
- 4 teaspoons buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt together.
- Add mashed bananas and buttermilk to creamed mixture, then add flour.
- Add the vanilla and the nuts, stir well.
- Cook in well greased and floured loaf pans for one (1) hour at 350 degrees.
- Watch to see that they don't get too brown.
- This is delicious with softened cream cheese spread on the slices when served.
- My mother loved to make these loaves and give to friends at Christmas.
I made this recipe for my family and they just loved it. Directions were easy to follow, I replaced regular milk instead of butter milk (simply because I didn't have it), but it was fabulous. My loaf was very moist and my entire family loved it!
I dont know what I did wrong, but I used this recipe first time today, and baked the loaves in two loaf pans, baked them for 55 min. they were brown on outside but not done on inside. The batter was very thick. Not sure what went wrong.
This made a delicious, well rounded loaf of bread. I used plain yogurt in place of the buttermilk and banana extract in place of the vanilla. Everyone enjoyed this very much.