Recipe by Kathleen Reed
Not-too-sweet nut bread. Delicious with softened cream cheese, and with a cup of hot chocolate. My mother made these to give to friends at Christmas.
Top Review by Lidya
I made this recipe for my family and they just loved it. Directions were easy to follow, I replaced regular milk instead of butter milk (simply because I didn't have it), but it was fabulous. My loaf was very moist and my entire family loved it!
- 1⁄2 cup oleo or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 small ripe bananas, , mashed
- 4 teaspoons buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt together.
- Add mashed bananas and buttermilk to creamed mixture, then add flour.
- Add the vanilla and the nuts, stir well.
- Cook in well greased and floured loaf pans for one (1) hour at 350 degrees.
- Watch to see that they don't get too brown.
- This is delicious with softened cream cheese spread on the slices when served.
- My mother loved to make these loaves and give to friends at Christmas.