Recipe by Rita~
Found this on-line requested by a fellow Zarrie needed for my Lekvar (LEHK-vahr) Kugel Lekvar Kugel (Prune Plum)( I was able to find it canned. A thick, soft spread made of fruit (usually prunes or apricots) cooked with sugar. This Hungarian specialty is used to fill a variety of pastries and cookies. Lekvar can be purchased in cans or jars in most supermarkets.
Top Review by BeachGirl
Wow..this tasted just like the commercial Lekvar I had in the refrigerator. It's texture was perfect, too. I'm really thrilled to have this recipe as Lekvar is difficult to find here, and I use it in place of oil in my chocolate cakes. I was so confident I would like this recipe, I made 4x recipe Using 24 oz. pruned) and it made about 24 oz. of prune butter. Rita...thanks SOOO much for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted prunes, lightly packed
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer all ingredients, except brown sugar, covered 25- 30 minutes until very soft and most of water is evaporated.
- Uncover last few minutes if necessary.
- Remove from heat and mash.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- You can keep Lekvar in the refrigerator for a long time.
- Put it in a canning jar.