Recipe by mermaidmagic
From The Legal Sea Foods Cookbook. Legal Sea Foods is my favorite restaurant.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups diced onions
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 12 cups concentrated fish stock
- 4 lbs chowder fish fillets (such as 2 lbs. Cod, 1 lb. Monkfish, and 1 lb. Cusk)
- 2 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated monterey jack cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan until softened.
- Add the onions, carrots, and garlic and sauté.
- Stir frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in the flour.
- Return to the heat, and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, begin heating the stock in a large pot.
- Whisk the stock into the flour mixture.
- Bring the stock to a boil, whisking constantly, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish and simmer about 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in the cream and cheese.
- Simmer until the cheese melts, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- (You won’t distinguish the cheese as such; it is incorporated into the chowder.) Reheat the chowder slowly so the cream doesn’t boil.