Recipe by Kitchen Witch Steph
This is the recipe that my friend Liz currently uses, from the Gourmet cookbook. I love getting invited for dinner if this is in the works. It is easy to make and because of all of the roasted garlic you'll have, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, #68159, is a good side dish.
Top Review by **Mandy**
This was a lovely different way to serve lamb, I usually stud my lamb with garlic & rosemary but this is a nice change. The rosemary garlic flavour was very subtle and the lamb lovely & tender. My only issue was that my tomatoes ended up a little too charred by the end of cooking so I wasn't really able to use them for a sauce but the lamb was still very much enjoyed. Made for ZWT 4.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (or approx. the same amount of canned tomatoes)
- 8 heads garlic, papery outer skin discarded (can use a lot less)
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs (or 1 tsp. dried rosemary, crumbled)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or as needed)
- 6 -8 lbs leg of lamb, aitchbone removed by the butcher and trimmed
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Arrange tomatoes in a 17 1/2-by-12 inch roasting pan and place lamb on top (if using canned tomatoes, coarsely chop them and pour the juice over them). Arrange garlic around lamb. Lay rosemary sprigs on lamb (or sprinkle dried rosemary), then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Roast lamb for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue roasting lamb, basting garlic with remaining 2 tablespoons oil every 20 minutes to keep it from drying out, until thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb (without touching bone) reas 135 degrees for medium-rare, 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 hours more.
- Transfer lamb to a cutting board and let stand, loosely covered with foil, for 20-30 minutes. Stir tomato mixture and transfer to a sauceboat.
- Carve lamb and serve with tomato mixture and roasted garlic.