12 hrs 45 mins
The leg of lamb is studded with garlic and marinated in a combination of garlic, mustard, rosemary, white wine, lemon juice, and olive oil to ensure there is no gaminess. This recipe is for a butterflied 3-lb boneless leg of lamb. The meat will be tender and full of flavor. We like our lamb medium rare, so you may want to cook yours a little longer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless leg of lamb, well trimmed and butterflied to an even 2-inch thickness
- 8 garlic cloves, divided
- 1/2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh rosemary, for garnish
- fresh parsley sprig, for garnish
- 1On a work surface, open lamb like a book; use the tip of a small knife, and make slits all over the lamb.
- 2Peel and thinly slice 4 garlic cloves; insert garlic into the slits in the lamb.
- 3In a food processor, combine remaining 4 garlic cloves, mustard, olive oil, wine, rosemary, and lemon juice; puree to a paste.
- 4Spread half the paste on the lamb, then place seasoned side down in a glass baking dish; spread with remaining paste and cover with plastic wrap.
- 5Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- 6Allow an hour to bring lamb back to room temperature, then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper; roll lamb and tie with kitchen twine at 1-inch intervals.
- 7Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 8Place lamb on a rack and roast to an internal temperature of 125 degrees F, about 45 minutes.
- 9Let rest for 15 minutes, then slice thinly.
- 10Place slices overlapping on a serving platter, drizzle with pan juices, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and decorate with fresh herb stems, if desired.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leg of Lamb With Rosemary, Garlic, and Lemon
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 710.4
- Calories from Fat 518
- Total Fat 57.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 364.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 41.8 g