Recipe by MarieRynr
Okay, I just have to post this delicious recipe. This is one of my favorite meals, if not my favorite. The lamb gets meltingly tender and the potatoes are soft and gorgeously lemony and flavoured with the juices from the lamb. Who knew such simple ingredients could produce something so delicious, but that is often the way!
Top Review by Tony Rules The Kitchen... Sally Watches!
Outstanding!!! This is the best lamb I have ever made or eaten anywhere, including restaurants. This is definately company worthy and is so delicious I can't even begin to tell you!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs leg of lamb (on the bone)
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 50 g butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 220*C/425*F. Rinse and trim the excess fat off the lamb. Put it in a large baking dish and rub all over with the lemon juice, seasoning well with salt and pepper. Crush the oregano between your fingers and sprinkle over the meat to cover. Dot the butter over the top of the lamb and pour 1 cup of water around it. Drizzle the olive oil around it as well. Bake for about 15 to 30 minutes on each side, until browned all over.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces. Scatter them into the baking dish around the lamb, seasoning with some salt and turning to coat in the juices. Add a little more water if it has totally evaporated.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and turn the oven temperature down to 180*C/350*F. Return the baking dish to the oven and continue to bake for another 2 1/2 hours or so, turning the lamb over at least once curing this time and giving the potatoes a stir. Remove the foil the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Serve warm with a green salad.