Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
From the June 20, 2008 Athens' Plus magazine. This recipe was submitted by Argyro Barbarigou. According to epikouria.com, "Argyro Barbarigou is an award-winning cookbook author and host of a popular food show. She is also an experienced restaurant owner and well-known chef, especially to habitués of the Cycladic island of Paros, where, in the little harbor of Naoussa, she opened her first restaurant."
- 1 (2 1/2-3 kg) whole leg of lamb
- 750 ml red wine
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut into 4 chunks
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 medium onions
- 5 -6 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper, freshly ground
- (You need one shallow and one deep baking tray, or one large roasting pot with a lid.).
- Take the meat out of the refrigerator and leave (covered) for 30-40 mins to reach room temperature.
- Pre-heat the oven to 250°C
- Peel and quarter the onion.
- Pour the olive oil into the shallow dish and put in the oven for 5-6 mins to heat.
- Add the onions, potatoes, carrots and garlic and stir until all are well covered with the oil.
- Roast at 250C for half an hour.
- Remove from the oven and put aside.
- Rub a few drops of oil into the meat with your hands.
- Season well and place in the deep baking tray (or pot) and sear it, uncovered, for 30 mins at 250°C
- Remove from the oven, drench with the wine and sprinkle one each of the herb sprigs (or half the dried amount) over the meat.
- Cover the tray with foil, making sure it does not touch the meat, or put the lid on the pot.
- Reduce the heat to 170C and roast for 1.5 hours.
- Remove from the oven, add the roast vegetables and the rest of the herbs and return to the oven uncovered for another 1.5 hours.
- Remove the garlic cloves, cover and leave to rest for 15-20 minutes. Drain the liquid through a sieve into a saucepan, squeeze the garlic cloves to.
- obtain the soft centers and add to the pan, boil while stirring with a whisk to dissolve the garlic until reduced to half (about 5-6 mins).
- Serve with the vegetables and the sauce.