Recipe by lazyme
This is my favorite way to make a leg of lamb. It's simple, smells great, and tastes even better. From Gourmet magazine.
Top Review by SueVM
So delicious the lamb roast was melt in the mouth tender and DH went back for a second helping. Thank you so much lazyme for posting this 5 star recipe. Made for the Dining Daredevils team for ZWT5 Family Picks.
- 7 lbs leg of lamb
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat lamb dry and score fat by making shallow cuts all over with tip of a sharp small knife.
- Pound garlic to a paste with sea salt using a mortar and pestle (or mince and mash with a heavy knife) and stir together with rosemary and pepper.
- Put lamb in a lightly oiled roasting pan, then rub paste all over lamb.
- Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roast lamb in middle of oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted 2 inches into thickest part of meat (do not touch bone) registers 130°F, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 15 to 25 minutes (internal temperature will rise to about 140°F for medium-rare).
- Add wine to pan and deglaze by boiling over moderately high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 1 minute.
- Season pan juices with salt and pepper and serve with lamb.