Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is high reward for minimum effort food-people will think you’re a fabulous cook when you really didn’t do much. To make a really earth-shattering meal – when you want to win friends and influence people – serve it with garlicky tzatziki and homemade naan. Fortunately, a slow cooker solves the dilemma. The long, low cooking time breaks down the tough connective tissues in a leg of lamb, making it fall-off-the-bone tender, without turning it to mush.
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup olives or 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 bone-in leg of lamb
- 4 -5 medium yukon gold potatoes, chopped into chunks or 4 -5 medium about the same quantity tiny new potatoes
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- about a wineglass full red wine (or stock)
- Rub the oil all over the lamb and either brown it in a hot pan or throw it on the grill to get some colour. Meanwhile, toss all the potatoes and about half the garlic cloves into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Put the lamb on top of the potatoes, squish a few more cloves of garlic and rub it over the surface, then sprinkle with salt.
- Toss in a few sprigs of rosemary and pour some wine in around the potatoes, cover (if the bone sticks out, cover the lid with foil to seal in the heat) and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Carve the lamb and serve with the potatoes, finished with a squeeze of lemon, if you like.
Great recipe!! it was a complete success! the meat was soft and tender and just fell off of the bone. my guests were very happy !!