Recipe by Pets'R'us
This is delicious, I make this for special occasions, it also looks impressive. I do not find it too spicy just nicely spiced. A green vegetable and rice are good with this Raan masaledar!
Top Review by liliya_99
I serve it with couscous. The meat turns out to be full of flavour and very tender. I have never made it with the garnish, as the meat looks great as is coming out from the oven.
- 5 -6 lbs leg of lamb
For the Sauce
- 2 ounces blanched almonds
- 8 ounces onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 cloves peeled garlic
- 4 pieces ginger, approx 1 inch,peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh hot green chilies, coarsely chopped
- 20 fluid ounces plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 16 cardamom pods
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 ounce blanched split almonds or 1 ounce slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove all the fat from the outside of the leg and the white skin, or ask your butcher to do it.
- Put the leg in a baking dish, stainless steel or glass is preferred because of the yogurt marinade.
- Put in your blender or food processor the almonds, onions, garlic, ginger, green chilies and about 3 tablespoons of the yogurt, process to a paste.
- The remaining yogurt you put in a dish, beat lightly until smooth, add the paste and the cumin, coriander, cayenne and garam masala, mix.
- Stab the lamb all over, making good deep cuts.
- Now the fun begins, using your hands push generous amounts of paste in the natural openings of the lamb, then in the cuts you made.
- Spread remaining paste all over and around the lamb, the side that will be up should get a thick layer.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove the lamb from the fridge and give it enough time to get to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a small pan on a medium flame, when hot add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns, when the cloves swell, this just takes seconds pour the hot oil and the spices over the lamb.
- Cover the dish with its own lid or tightly with aluminum foil, bake covered for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 45 minutes or longer if you prefer.
- During this time baste the meat regularly with the sauce.
- Scatter, or make nice pattern, the sultanas and almonds over the top of lamb in the yogurt paste.
- Bake for another 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven; leave it a warm place for 15 minutes or so.
- Take the leg out of the pan, spoon the fat from the top of the sauce, strain the sauce and discard the whole spices.
- Serve the leg on a platter with the sauce poured around it.