1/1 Photo of "leftovers" Spaghetti Sauce
I love eating ground beef in my spaghetti sauce. Here's another recipe I made up, this time with leftovers I had in the fridge and also what I had on hand in the pantry. We were on a tight budget at the time, so I just threw a bunch of stuff together and it came out quite good and my husband enjoyed it too Again, my measurements are all estimated, I apologize.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (24 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (26 ounce) jar Prego spaghetti sauce, your choice of flavor (tomato, green pepper and onion flavor is the kind i had on hand. Also try tomato, onion, and garlic)
- 1 -3 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 lb browned ground beef
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 1 -3 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1I had previously browned and drained the ground beef and had it in the fridge, If you don't have this leftover, brown ground beef first in a nonstick skillet, drain off fat really well.
- 2I use a pile of paper towels to soak up the fat.
- 3Place ground beef in a large pot.
- 4Stir in all other ingredients except the sugar.
- 5Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 6Turn heat down to low and simmer uncovered or covered for about 30 minutes or so to let the flavors mix, stirring occasionally.
- 7Taste the sauce now and then and add more onions or garlic to taste.
- 8Add a little sugar to neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes during the simmering.
- 9Serve over hot spaghetti noodles.
- 10The sauce should be fairly thick, not runny, so as you add in the ingredients, use more or less of the Prego as needed.
- 11If too thick, add a little water, more Prego, or more stewed tomatoes with juice.
- 12When I made mine, it was the consistency of chili.
- 13This makes a pretty decent batch, can feed 2-4 depending on how much everyone eats in a serving.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "leftovers" Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 987.8
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 154.2 mg
- Sodium 2546.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.3 g
- Sugars 48.9 g
- Protein 52.0 g