Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
Found this recipe on a foodblog. Great for leftovers.
Top Review by Francis N Camilla C.
I did and the jelly but it turned out nicely. It's light and fluffy. I will make some slight adjustments to add a little more flavor. I broke up the waffles and mixed per the instructions but next time I do it in layers so I can add clumps of brown sugar to each layer to add that strudel touch. Also I plan making a Carmel rum sause to top it off.
- 12 ounces waffles
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk, lukewarm (so the butter doesn't go chunky)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons jam (or assorted berries to taste) or 3 tablespoons jelly (or assorted berries to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x9 cake pan, or a 9" round pan, or a loaf pan. If you're using whole waffles put the first layer in the pan. For torn up waffles, toss them into the pan and try to somewhat level them out.
- In a bowl, whisk the lukewarm milk, butter, eggs, first amount of sugar and vanilla together until eggs are fully incorporated. Pour over the waffles - if you're using torn up waffles, give the whole thing a good stir. For whole waffles, pour some of the mixture over the first layer, then alternate layers of waffles and egg mix until it's all used up. Sprinkle the top of the waffle mixture with the second amount of brown sugar, then glob some jam or jelly randomly around the top.
- Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes to an hour, until the center is set and the top is starting to brown. Serve either hot or cold.